The Centre for Public Integrity conducts research into protecting the integrity of accountability institutions.
Accountability institutions are crucial to holding government to account and building confidence in our system of government. Attacks on these institutions have led to a compromised system of integrity. Secure and sufficient funding, permanent tenure of senior officials, and independent non-partisan appointments are among the reforms necessary to restoring confidence in our system.
You can read some of our latest research on accountability institutions below:
Members of the Accountability Institutions research committee are:
- The Hon Paul Stein AM QC, former judge of NSW Court Appeal
- Bret Walker SC, barrister, former Independent National Security Legislation Monitor
- Geoffrey Watson SC, barrister, former counsel assisting NSW ICAC and Police Integrity Commissioner
- Richard Beasley SC, barrister
- Quentin Dempster, journalist